Aspiring Nurse Director Leadership Scholarships
The Aspiring Nurse Director Leadership Scholarships are generously supported by The Burdett Trust For Nursing, Health Education England Kent, Surrey and Sussex and Health Education England North Central and East London.
Aspiring Nurse Directors’ scholarships of up to £14,000 are available to experienced Nurses and Midwives who have current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, have the potential to secure a Board level position in the next 2 - 3 years and have the support of their organisation. Applicants need to be engaged in professional leadership and be enthusiastic about improving health services and be ambitious both personally and professionally to improve patient care.
These scholarships will develop scholars in three key areas:
- personal leadership skills;
- career planning and management; and
- undertaking a patient care improvement project that is sustainable locally and capable of transfer to other services across the UK.
The scholarships will be up to 15 months in length and include both bespoke and core elements. Scholars will be supported to design their own bespoke programme of learning crafted to suit their individual needs. The core elements comprise:
- in-depth personal leadership skills assessment, mentorship, and specially commissioned inputs on quality improvement techniques and the politics of healthcare
- using data to drive organisational performance, networking and building alliances and report writing
- access to a co-consulting group and participation in sessions designed to increase their personal influence, communication, personal impact and negotiation skills alongside our other leadership scholars.
Scholars will also have the opportunity to enhance their skills and knowledge by undertaking a visit to services elsewhere in the UK or overseas to further enrich their patient care improvement project.
The funding will provide an award of up to £14,000 per scholar. This includes a core development element (equivalent to £4,000 per scholar). Scholars will have to demonstrate how the results of the scholarship and project work will be of direct benefit to their career progression, local patient care, sustainable improvement and be capable of spread across the UK.
Criteria for selection
Applications are welcome from experienced Nurses and Midwives who have current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, have the potential to secure a Board level position in the next 2 - 3 years and have the support of their organisation for their application.
Your organisation is expected to support your application and, by agreeing to provide 10% of the scholarship cost (£1,400), be of the view that you are capable of securing a Board level position in the next 2 - 3 years. Your organisation should also provide a letter from the Chief Nurse or Chief Executive demonstrating their support for the application, agreement to funding and study leave.
Applicants require a supporting letter from the Chief Nurse or Chief Executive of their organisation agreeing study leave for 2017 - 18 and the organisation’s commitment to fund 10% of the award made by The Foundation.