Applications for Research Scholarships 2017-18 are now CLOSED.
Research Scholarships offer a fantastic opportunity for nurses and midwives to engage in research and build their capacity and capability in research.
Research scholarships provide up to £5,000 for a scholar to undertake a course in research methods, research modules or a dissertation/thesis as part of an academic course of study. The Foundation will also consider post-doctoral nursing or midwifery research projects.
All Research scholarships must involve clinically focused research, i.e. must be able to demonstrate impact on patient care and be academically supervised or supported.
There are general and specialist scholarships. General scholarships are open to nurses and midwives undertaking clinically focused research in any area of practice. The following specialist scholarship opportunities are available for 2017/18:
- Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists Scholarships for nurses working in the UK within respiratory services.
- Menat Trust Scholarships for nurses working in the area of care for children and families with cardiac anomalies.
- Charlie Waller Scholarships for research into adolescents and young adults with depression and/or other mental health issues. The criteria to apply for one of these scholarships would include:
- Focus on mild to moderate depression in young people (in school, universities, work place, etc.)
- Topics might include keeping mentally well, providing coping strategies/early interventions, the role of a nurse as a therapist, working as part of a wider team and is for nurses who come into front line contact with young people (school nurses and practice nurses).