The Statement of Purpose of the Foundation is that, as a living memorial to Florence Nightingale, it advances the study of nursing and midwifery and promotes excellence in practice. It does this by conferring scholarships which enable the practitioners to extend their knowledge and skills to meet the changing needs of patient care.
Previously, all scholarships supported scholars who came to the Foundation with their own specific interests in areas of clinical and academic practice. As we planned for the future it was considered that the Foundation may wish to take a more direct and pro-active approach to adding to the body of clinical knowledge by influencing the commissioning of scholarly activity in areas of clinical practice that will maximise the benefit to patient care.
It was therefore decided to set up a network of Florence Nightingale Foundation Chairs of Clinical Nursing Practice Research. Each Chair has strong academic roots within a named University but also clinical links to a Trust or Health Board.
We now have a peer network of Chairs who are geographically separate but with a common purpose to pursue and promulgate clinical academic knowledge and work systematically to disseminate research findings, encourage the adoption and implementation of research evidence thereby promoting good practice in patient care.
The Chairs provide monthly updates as part of our Florence Nightingale Foundation Blog- which can be followed here: http://bit.ly/1JUMUqW
- London South Bank University and University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The University of Southampton & University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHS) and Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- The University of Cambridge and Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- King’s College London with Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- The University of Manchester and Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust and the University of Birmingham
- University of the West of England and The Royal United Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Ulster University and the Western Health and Social Care Trust
- The University of Glasgow and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- University of Essex and North Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (NEP)
- The University of Hertfordshire School of Health and Social Work and the East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
- Cardiff University School of Healthcare Sciences and Cardiff and Vale University Health Board
- [.doc] Glasgow Chair Press Release
-  Research chairs appointed by the Florence Nightingale Foundation show that practice and academia do mix
- [PDF] Florence Nightingale Foundation Nursing Lecture Series 2015
Click to view. Right-click -> Save Target As... to download.